Posted On Aug 20, 2022,
A good place to begin your search for an excellent mental health professional is to seek the advice of your primary care physician, who likely knows many local mental health colleagues.
Seeking help early for a mental health issue can make a big difference.
Eric D. Caine, MD, explains 5 reasons to consult a mental health professional.
- The first is when you have thoughts, emotions or behaviors that are out of control, especially when they are affecting your relationships, your work or your sense of well-being. Never feel embarrassed to ask for help at times when you are upset or depressed.
- Next is when you are struggling to deal with life’s painful challenges – such as a major illness, the loss of a loved one, divorce or job problems. These issues may be your own, but could also include those of others you care about.
- The third is when the use of alcohol or drugs interferes with your health, your emotions, your relationships, your job or your ability to fulfill your daily responsibilities.
- Another is when you are confused, fraught with emotions and need the perspectives of a caring yet unbiased person to help sort among difficult choices.
- And lastly, when you feel that life is no longer worth living, that you are hopeless and have reached the end of the line, and you would rather die than feel the pain of the present. In the midst of such distress, you are not prepared to make life-or-death decisions. Ask for help.
Original Article: Top 5 Reasons to Consult with a Mental Health Professional